10 July 2009

Music Communities that Span Generations

My 15-year-old son and his Rock and Roll band, "Canned Under Authority" had a gig in Northside, Cincinnati today.  Northside Tavern, http://www.northside-tavern.com/, one of Cincinnati's hippest night spots, kindly opened their doors early to these aspiring musicians so that parents and friends could come out of the sun and into this cool, historic venue to listen to the band.  I was impressed by the level of talent the kids displayed as well as the enthusiasm of the adults who snuck out of offices at P&G, UC and other Cincinnati institutions to hear them play.  

As much as they'd like to believe it's true, the kids didn't do all of this themselves.  We're very fortunate to have fellows like Bruce Deaton, Charles Apperson and Bjorn Knudson dedicated to the young music scene in Cincinnati, via the summer Boot Camp Jamz day camp and Saturday's URock program: http://www.bootcampjamz.com.  They push the kids to learn new music, perform professionally and come together as a band.  Guest instructors include cool cats like Freekbass, http://www.bootcampjamz.com/facultyprofiles/?c=2 and Cincinnati's own funkalicious Bootsy Collins, http://www.bootsycollins.com/.

It truly warms my heart to touch music and community in Cincinnati in this way.  

Sometimes, if the stars align, you may grow up to be a rock-n-roll star.  I was pondering how careers are made as I stood in the Dayton Fifth Third arena tonight to hear legends Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Bob Dylan.  What voices, what lyrics and what life stories.  
I've loved John since I was sixteen, living in Bloomington, Indiana.  Johnny (Cougar) was our hometown hero and waiting on him and his ex-wife at a now-closed restaurant is a sweet memory for me.  His ashtray was piled high, he was his roughneck self - and my heart was fluttering....

I saw Willie for the first time tonight and I'm so glad that I had the opportunity.  He sounded just like he does on my stereo; he wore a cowboy hat then the signature red bandana; he was sweet and genuine.  The real deal, the whiskey-loving human Willie.

Bob was Bob.  Never has there been a more prolific poet, boiling the complex stories of our times down to a few lines that make you want to cry.  He covers civil rights, corporate greed and broken hearts in ways that make you say, "yes, that's how I feel," "yes, that's exactly right."
But, seeing Bob in concert is paying him respect - not a good representation of Bob's craft. 

Here's to music, the people who make it and community it brings together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment